Have you ever encountered difficulty recognizing the difference between a regular white cake and a french vanilla cake? Well, quite frankly you’re not alone in this world whose mind is being confused between the difference between the two cakes. In today’s topic, we will discuss the difference between a classic white cake and french vanilla cake mix. There’s also a simple recipe of french vanilla cake mix, vanilla cupcake recipe, and even a pound cake recipe. So let’s begin!
For starters, vanilla cakes can be both white and yellow. The only difference between the two is the use of different fats and flours in deciding which cake is appropriate for a certain type of frostings. On the other hand, the french vanilla cake mix is also a vanilla cake. Though there would be subtle distinct differences. French vanilla cake mix tends to have a distinct taste since it resembles a custard flavor. This is due to the use of egg yolks in the batter thus making it a yellow cake. French vanilla cake mix doesn’t differ from any other vanilla cake if we only base it on the type of vanilla being used, say a Tahitian or Madagascar vanilla.
The reason why a yellow cake like a french vanilla cake mix got its golden tint shade is from the vigorous color of egg yolk and not from food dyes. Instead of separating egg whites, french vanilla cake mix uses whole eggs. It also uses solid butter instead of the usual combination of shortening and butter. This distinct difference makes the yellow cake or say a french vanilla cake mix richer, tender, and has that sunlit tone shade.
In addition, yellow cake or french vanilla cake mix usually has a denser composition since it uses all-purpose flour. Also, the egg yolk gives extra fat to the mixture making it moist and thick. It also gives that distinct mild custard flavor.
Now, here’s a simple french vanilla cake mix recipe topped with buttercream frosting.
French vanilla cake mix ingredients:
- 3 large eggs
- 2 ⅔ cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup (bit cooler room temperature) of butter
- 1 ⅔ cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 3.4 ounces of dry instant french vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup of french vanilla coffee creamer
- ½ cup of whole milk
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of room temperature butter
- 2 tablespoon of dry french vanilla pudding mix
- ¼ cup of milk
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 7 cups of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of french vanilla coffee creamer or you can use milk if you don’t have one.
Instruction for the french vanilla cake mix:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit then grease and flour 2 round cake pans and put aside for a while.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and add a small package of dry instant french vanilla pudding. This combination should be whisked well.
- Using another mixing bowl, add the milk, vanilla extract, oil, and french vanilla coffee creamer. Whisk all and put it aside for now.
- Now using a larger mixing bowl, add the slightly above room temperature butter and mix on medium speed until it becomes smooth. After that, add the sugar and mix it to medium speed and go up to medium-high for a couple of minutes until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix on medium speed until combined. Do not over mix and never use super cold eggs.
- Add the flour mixture and liquid mixture. You only need to mix this combination until it is well combined. Also, scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix it again until everything is well combined.
- Now, divide the batter into the prepared pans you set aside a while ago. After that, bake it in the oven for about 55 minutes up to 1 hour. When it’s already baked, remove it from the oven and cool the pan on a wire rack before adding the buttercream frosting.
Instruction for the buttercream frosting:
- Using a bowl, whisk well the milk and 2 tablespoons of dry french vanilla pudding mix
- Now, using another bowl, cream the butter on medium-low speed up to medium speed for about two minutes. After that, add 3 cups of confectioner’s sugar and salt. Mix on low up to medium speed until it is well mixed. Then add 1 tablespoon of french vanilla creamer and mix it on low to medium speed. Add the last four cups of confectioner’s sugar.
- Now, add the set-aside milk and pudding mixture plus the vanilla extract. Mix it on low to medium speed.
- After you have the desired consistency, beat it on medium speed for a few minutes until it becomes fluffy.
- Once done, spread the frosting into the cake.
As mentioned above, we also prepared a simple vanilla cupcake recipe. Now, this vanilla cupcake recipe is easy to make and just like the latter recipe that we have, this vanilla cupcake recipe that we prepare can also be topped with the same buttercream frosting just like the french vanilla cake mix.
Vanilla cupcake recipe ingredients:
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 ⅔ cup of all all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¾ cup of unsalted melted butter
- 3 room temperature egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ cup of room temperature sour cream
- ½ cup of warm whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
Instruction for vanilla cupcake recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place cupcake papers in the cupcake pan.
- Using a bowl, sift the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and whisk them all together
- Mix all wet ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix it well.
- After all the ingredients are well mixed, distribute the batter to the cupcake papers evenly.
- Bake it for about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Your vanilla cupcake could be topped with the buttercream frosting recipe mentioned above.
Aside from the french vanilla cake mix and vanilla cupcake recipe, we also have a special bonus pound cake recipe. This pound cake recipe is so simple that you only need 4 ingredients. But if you opted for pound cake recipe lemon, you can add lemon zest to your ingredients to give your pound cake recipe a lemon zest that could give that refreshing summer taste.
Pound cake recipe / Poundcake recipe lemon ingredients:
- 2 cups of room temperature salted butter
- 9 pieces of large eggs
- 3 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- (optional) Lemon zest
Instruction for pound cake recipe/pound cake recipe lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Coat and spray your bundt pan.
- Using a bowl, mix butter and sugar for 2 minutes using a stand mixer until it becomes light and fluffy. Then add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the flour slowly to the mixture and turn your mixer’s speed to low.
- Put the batter into the pan and bake for about an hour.
- When it’s done, place the pan in a wire rack until it’s cool.
There you have it! Hope you enjoy our topic about french vanilla cake mix as well as our vanilla cupcake recipe and pound cake recipe. Enjoy eating!