If the back of your fridge is left with limping lettuce, floppy carrots and wilting greens by the end of the week but you’ve promised yourself that you’ll tackle food waste hands on, these four recipes might be able to help you…
Yeo Valley Organic has shared four delicious recipes with us to help inspire you to reduce your food waste and make the most of what you’ve got knocking about in your vegetable collection. From saving that last knob of butter or spoonful of yogurt; to using up a hard piece of cheese for a delicious recipe, we could reduce food waste dramatically.
Read on to find out what to cook up this week…
300g Leftover Pineapple
200g Yeo Valley Organic Greek yoghurt
1 tbsp. honey
100g desiccated coconut
100g coconut cream
2 lime juice & zest
227ml Yeo Valley Organic Double Cream
- Start by slicing your pineapple into 1cm rings. Add to a very hot, dry frying or griddle pan to char. Once there is colour turn to do the other side. Add 1⁄2 the pineapple to a blender along with the honey, desiccated & creamed coconut, lime juice & zest & 1⁄2 the yoghurt. Blend until smooth.
- Whip the cream until you have stiff peaks. Fold in the remaining yoghurt & blended mixture. Roughly chop the remaining pineapple & mix through. Add to your molds & freeze for 4 hours.
- You can be creative with your molds –we used individual ones & popped in a spoon to make it a lolly. You could also use a loaf tin & slice portions to serve. Decorate with lime zest to serve or enjoy straight up!
Lamb with Wild Garlic Yogurt and Flatbreads
Need to make the most of your leftover roast lamb? Here we have a great recipe to enjoy your tender lamb with a delicious wild garlic yoghurt over warm flatbreads. This is perfect easy dish for a meal in the garden.
50g vegetarian (non-Parmesan) hard cheese, grated
500g Self Raising Flour
500g Yeo Valley Organic Yoghurt
2 tbsp. Olive Oil1 tsp. Salt
20g Wild Garlic –finely sliced
1 tsp. Cumin seeds
500g Leftover roast lamb
Few sprigs of rosemary
1tbsp. Olive oil
50g Olive Oil
15g Wild Garlic
350g Yeo Valley Organic Yoghurt
1 tsp. salt
- In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients for the yoghurt flatbreads until it just comes together. Make into about 250g balls & squish out with your hands until they roughly fill the base of a medium size frying pan. Roughly 25cm. Add 1 tbsp. Olive Oil to a hot pan & gently fry for 8 –10 mins each side.
- Pull the lamb apart & add to a frying pan along with the olive oil & rosemary sprigs. Fry until the edges start to go crispy & caramelised.
- Meanwhile add the wild garlic, olive oil, salt & 50g of yoghurt to a blender & blitz until smooth. Mix through the remaining yoghurt & put in a dish to serve.
- Serve in the middle of the table ready for everyone to tuck in & share
Prawn, Pea and Watercress Orzo Risotto
Rustle up this warm, flavoursome risotto, perfect for a week night when you need something speedy for the whole family.
50g Yeo Valley Organic Butter
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Salt
1 Leek –washed
1 Litre of stock
100g Frozen peas
100g Sugar snap peas
Leftover watercress, rocket, or pea shoots
250g Frozen prawns
50g Yeo Valley Organic Cheddar
- In a shallow casserole dish or large frying pan add the butter, olive oil & finely sliced leek. Sweat down until soft. Add the orzo & give it a good mix. Add the stock & allow to simmer for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile blend 1⁄2 the peas, watercress & 2 tbsp. water until a vibrant green smooth paste.
- Add the paste, prawns & remaining peas, sugar snap peas & watercress to the orzo. Cook for a few mins until the prawns are pink but not small & shriveled! Scatter with the grated cheddar & watercress to serve.
Roast Pork Tacos with Guacamole
Packed full of flavour and spice, this is a simple recipe to make the most of your delicious leftover roast pork. The tender, flavoursome pork goes beautifully with a fresh spoonful of guacamole in a tortilla wrap.
1⁄4 Small red cabbage
White Wine Vinegar
1 tbsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Sugar
500g Leftover roast pork
50g Yeo Valley Organic butter
1tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Whole orange
1⁄2 Jar of pickled jalapenos
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Salt
1⁄2 Small pack of coriander stalks
Yeo Valley Organic Yoghurt
1 Lime juice & zest
100g Ripe tomatoes
1⁄2 Small pack of coriander leaves
1 pack Tortilla wraps
- Start by thinly slice the red cabbage & cover with white wine vinegar. Add a large splash of water, the salt & sugar. Stir & leave to one side. Cut your pork into bite size chunks –roughly 1 cm sq. Add to a hot pan with the butter & oil & cook until coloured on all sides. Squeeze in the juice of the orange & cook on a low temperature until they juice has reduced & becomes sticky coating the pork.
- Meanwhile, add all the jalapeno ingredients to a blender & blitz until smooth. Stir through equal quantities of yoghurt until you reach desired heat!
- Scoop out the avocado flesh & add the zest & lime juice. Roughly chop the tomatoes & coriander leaves, & add along with some salt & pepper. Gently mix so you still have texture & vibrant colours. 5.Using the lid to your yoghurt pot as a template cut out 3 individual tacos from each tortilla wrap. Warm gently in the oven before serving.
- Add everything to individual bowls or platters & sprinkle with fresh coriander. Build a big sharing table ready for everyone to tuckin making their best combination.