You can’t beat homemade bread or cake straight from the oven. Not only does it taste gorgeous it smells divine too.
Warm, fluffy and irresistibly good, there is something extra special about making baked goods at home.
If you’re looking to treat mum this Mother’s Day, why not make her a little batch of lemon drizzle muffins?
Instagram baker @CakeOnTheRun has shared her take on the classic treat with a quick and easy recipe. What’s more, it’s incredibly healthy and suitable for vegans as it contains no eggs.
In fact, it contains no butter or sugar either. The secret to these 12-minute delightful muffins is using a sugar-free lemonade.
If you love quick and easy recipes, sign up to the Bake On Bake Off newsletter.
Packed with deliciously simple ideas everyone can try, it’s free and you’ll receive an email straight to your inbox twice a week.
Perfect for making on a rainy day, rustling up quickly for unexpected guests or keeping the kids entertained, these recipes require basic ingredients you probably already have lurking in your kitchen cupboard.
You don’t need any fancy equipment either as some bakes can be cooked in a microwave in under a minute.
Many of the recipes are healthy, vegan friendly and gluten free, offering a little something for everyone.
Plus there will be plenty of gossip and reaction from The Great British Bake Off when it’s on our TV screens.
It takes seconds to sign up – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Changed your mind? There’s an ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
Not only does it add sweetness without the calories, it creates bubbles in the mixture to make the muffins rise in the oven.
You can drizzle over some icing sugar, or if you want to keep them extra healthy, serve them with yoghurt.
Expect a lovely and light, bread-like texture when you tuck into them, may it be for breakfast, mid-morning or in the afternoon with a cup of tea.
For lots more healthy food inspiration, visit our recipe page.
*95 calories per muffin
*Low in sugar
*Low in fat
*Gluten-free – if using gluten-free flour
Lemon drizzle muffin recipe (makes 2)
- 50g (1/4 cup + 1 tbsp) self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp low calorie lemonade
- 3 tbsp sweetener
- 1 tsp lemon essence/extract
- Optional – 1 tbsp plain yoghurt with a drop of lemon essence/extract for drizzling on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ gas mark 4.
- Put everything into a bowl and mix with a spoon until combined and sticky.
- Put mixture into two muffin/cupcake cases.
- Oven bake for 12 minutes. Check they are cooked by inserting a knife in the muffins and if it comes out clean they are done.
Expect a super light and fluffy texture. Drizzle over some plain yoghurt mixed with a drop of lemon essence/extract.
- If you haven’t got sweetener, you can use any sugar or maple syrup.
- Similarly, if you haven’t got lemonade you can use any fizzy or sparkling water.
- Self-raising flour can be swapped for plain flour with a pinch of baking powder.
- If you don’t like lemon flavoured cakes, use vanilla, almond or any other flavouring you fancy instead.