Apple matzah kugel is a classic Ashkenazi Passover dish. Just like many noodle kugels, this is a sweet kugel that is meant to be served with the main course at the seder. For a modern twist and some textural contrast, a simple streusel topping is added to the kugel for a nutty, sweet, crunch on top of the soft apple filling. Warmed-up leftovers make a perfect breakfast, served with a little yogurt or a drizzle of cream on top. And we won’t tell if you top it with ice cream to turn this apple treat into a dessert…
This kugel keeps for up to one week in the fridge, and can be reheated in the oven or microwave.
For the kugel:
- 4 matzahs
- 3 large apples (Fuji, Pink Lady, Granny Smith, or any flavorful apple you prefer)
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, vegan butter, or margarine
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground ginger (optional)
- ¼ cup currants or raisins (optional)
For the streusel topping:
- ½ cup pecans, chopped fine
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp butter, cubed
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 inch or 12×6 inch baking dish.
- Melt 3 Tbsp butter in a small pan or in the microwave. Cool and reserve.
- Soak the matzah in a bowl of cold water. While the matzah is soaking, peel and core the apples. Dice the apples into small pieces. Transfer to a medium bowl and squeeze lemon juice over the apples. Reserve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, salt, and ground ginger.
- Drain the matzah, and squeeze out excess liquid. Crumble the matzah into the egg mixture. Add the diced apples and currants. Mix until everything is combined. Transfer the kugel mixture to the greased baking dish.
- Add the streusel ingredients to a small bowl. Using your hands, rub the butter into the mixture until the streusel starts coming together and forms pea-sized crumbs. Crumble the streusel over the top of the kugel.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbly. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes prior to serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.