Tangy orange juice is good on its own, but mix it with fluffy cream and a shot of tequila and oh my GOD, it’s my new favorite dessert. You can recreate the magic of the beloved Disney treat with this amazing homemade citrus swirl recipe from Magical Recipes, which only requires three ingredients plus your choice of liquor.
Citrus Swirl can be found at the Sunshine Tree Terrace across from the Swirl Family Treehouse in Magic Kingdom. To make your own version of this sunshine-flavored goodness at home, you just need whipping cream, one can of frozen orange juice, and sugar. I also added two ounces of tequila, which made the flavors really pop (and, c’mon, boozy ice cream? It’s such a refreshing treat!). Keep reading for more tips on making this boozy citrus swirl below.
Pour the whipping cream in a bowl.
Beat until fluffy peaks form.
Add in frozen orange juice.
Add tequila or other alcohol as desired.
Put in the freezer for one to two hours if you want it to be more like a cocktail. (You can also try blending this with ice for a slushie-type treat.)
Freeze for 8-10 hours for a boozy ice cream. Pour it in a bowl and enjoy it in the warm sunshine outside!
This will freeze into a more ice cream-like consistency without alcohol.
- 1 12-ounce can frozen orange juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
A splash of tequila or other liquor (optional)
- Pour whipping cream into a bowl and mix with hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Scoop in the frozen orange juice directly from the can.
- Use a spatula to gently mix together.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add your favorite liquor. I added about two ounces of tequila.
- Put in freezer for about 1-2 hours. (After about 1.5 hours, the mixture was creamy, somewhat solid, and perfect for eating with a spoon or drinking directly from the glass like a cocktail.
- Close your eyes, take a bite, and pretend you’re at the Magic Kingdom!
- 4 glasses
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 2 hours
- Total Time
- 2 hours, 9 minutes, 59 seconds
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Sydni Ellis