Every year, without fail, I create a St Patrick’s Day chocolate Guinness cake to share with friends, but this is the first time I’ve made one using Flora Buttery and it is delicious! The cake is extra spongey and moist, and the iconic taste of the Guinness really came through, plus Flora Buttery contains 100% natural ingredients, which is excellent.
While parties won’t be possible this St. Patrick’s Day, I hope this recipe will inspire others to get baking in celebration of the Emerald Isle this year.
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C /325°F/gas mark 3. Line the base of a 30cm round spring form tin with baking parchment.
2. To make the cake, heat the Flora Buttery in a saucepan over medium heat until melted. Stir in the Guinness (or other stout/non-alcoholic stout), then remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and buttermilk and then slowly add the Guinness mixture, whisking all the time.
4. Next sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, and whisk into the wet mixture until it is all well combined.
5. Transfer the mixture into the cake tin and bake for approximately 55 minutes. Test to make sure the cake is cooked by inserting a dry skewer into the middle of the cake – if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Set aside to cool a little, and then remove from the tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Meanwhile, make the icing by blending all the ingredients together using an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
7. Place the cooled cake on a plate and generously spread the icing on top. The cake will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
Our thanks to Flora for permission to use this recipe
Make your own buttermilk
If you don’t have buttermilk you can make your own from regular milk by mixing with an acid such as cider vinegar or lemon juice and leaving at room temperature to curdle for 5 to 10 minutes. Use one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice for every 250ml milk.
Non-alcoholic Guinness or stout
Guinness 0.0 is out soon, and Galactic Milk Stout from Big Drop Brewing Co is available from Waitrose and Sainsbury’s.
For more delicious baking ideas try one of our many other cake recipes, or read our tips to getting the perfect cake. Alternatively, try one of our other fabulous recipes from Clodagh McKenna.