A beloved classic … with an Easter twist!
Decorated with chocolate eggs, this delicious cake will be the hit of your Easter celebration.
Get the full recipe below.
Easter Carrot Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups grated carrot
- ⅔ cup sultanas
- ⅔ cup chopped pecans
- ⅔ cup chopped macadamias
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 250 g packet ready-to-roll yellow icing (pale)
- ¼ cup sieved apricot jam
- medium hollow chocolate Easter eggs, to decorate
- Other Easter eggs of choice, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line a 23cm round cake pan with baking paper. Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl, using electric beaters, for 5 min. On low speed, gradually add 1¼ cups sunflower oil and the vanilla, beating until well combined.
- Add carrot, sultanas and nuts. Sift over flours, bicarb and spices. Fold until combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 1 hr 10 min, or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in pan for 10 min then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer cake to a serving plate. Roll out icing on a surface dusted with icing sugar to make a 23cm round. Brush top of cake with apricot jam. Transfer icing onto the cake and pinch edges. Decorate sides and top with chocolate eggs, bunnies and shapes.