Carrot cake is a timeless classic when it comes to a delicious treat.
Lightly spiced with cinnamon, studded with juicy sultanas and sandwiched together with a creamy filling, it’s a wonderful treat to make.
Known for her super quick and easy recipes, Instagram foodie @Cakeontherun has shared her take on the springtime classic.
Made in the microwave, in a mug, it serves two people (or one if you don’t want to share) and takes just two minutes to cook.
It’s ideal if you’re craving something sweet, but don’t want to make an entire cake.
We filled the delicious sponge with a healthy yoghurt filling, but you can use cream cheese or buttercream if you’d prefer.
This recipe works perfectly in the oven if you don’t have a microwave, but will take a bit longer to cook.
Just line a small oven-proof tin with baking parchment and cook for 20 minutes. You can check it’s done by inserting a knife into the middle of the sponge and if it comes out clean it is ready.
For lots more healthy food inspiration, visit our recipe page.
If you love quick and easy recipes, sign up to the Bake On Bake Off newsletter.
Packed with deliciously simple ideas everyone can try, it’s free and you’ll receive an email straight to your inbox twice a week.
You don’t need any fancy ingredients or equipment, plus some bakes can be cooked in a microwave in under a minute.
Many of the recipes are healthy, vegan friendly and gluten free, offering a little something for everyone.
Plus there will be plenty of gossip and reaction from The Great British Bake Off when it’s on our TV screens.
It takes seconds to sign up – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Changed your mind? There’s an ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
Carrot mugcake recipe (serves 2)
- 40g self raising flour
- 40g caster sugar
- 40g margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- 1 tbsp grated carrot
Plus for the filling:
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- Sprinkle caster sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Put margarine and sugar into a large mug and mix with a spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Add all of the other ingredients except for the flour and mix until combined. It will look a bit curdled but don’t worry.
- Then add the flour and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pop the mug in the microwave on high for two minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to ease the cake out of the mug and turn it out onto a plate.
- Once cooled slightly so it’s easy to touch, use the knife to cut the sponge in half.
- For the filling, mix cinnamon with yoghurt and spread on top of one of the halves.
- Sandwich the two halves together then sprinkle over some caster sugar and more cinnamon.
- Tuck in!
Love quick and easy recipes?
Try making a scrumptious gingerbread mugcake. You don’t need any fancy equipment or to be any good at baking to give it a go.
Or if you love peanut butter, click here for a must-try homemade bread recipe.