Last year was all about finding solace in baking and coming up with new recipes and food trends. This year, the COVID-19 scare worsened and we are all struggling to keep up with our sanity. People are not as inclined to cooking as they were previously.
However, we stumbled upon a little weird but interesting recipe that got us curious. Do you love cupcakes? Well, who doesn’t? But then how do you like your cupcake to be? Sweet, right? How about we tell you about cupcakes that aren’t sweet but spicy and full of flavour? Fast food chain KFC has come up with a cupcake recipe with chicken popcorn. Yup, you read that right! This quirky recipe was shared on their KFC Australia YouTube channel; take a look.
Video Credit: KFC Australia, YouTube
KFC Australia challenged baking prodigy Morgan Hipworth to create an original recipe inspired by KFC and boy did he deliver! Get Kentucky Fried Cookin’ with the celebrity chef.
Here’s the full recipe for making 12 of Morgan Hipworth’s special Popcorn Chicken Cupcakes.
1. 1 large KFC Popcorn Chicken
2. 1 large KFC Potato & Gravy
3. 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
4. 1 1/2 cups plain flour
5. 1 tablespoon baking powder
6. 2 tablespoons caster sugar
7. 1 teaspoon salt
8. 1 cup canned creamed corn
9. 125 grams melted butter
10. 2 eggs
11. 3/4 cup milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃.
2. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients and make a well in the centre. Add the remaining ingredients and just keep mixin’ until combined.
3. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners and divide batter evenly between them. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Separate the gravy from the Potato & Gravy by pouring it into a bowl. (Remember to save some for the garnish!) Spoon the remaining potato into another bowl and stir to combine with any remaining gravy.
5. Transfer the potato to a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle. Protip: You can get disposable ones cheaper at the supermarket.
6. Pipe the potato on the top to resemble frosting on a cupcake.
7. Top with 4-5 pieces of Popcorn Chicken and then drizzle on KFC gravy.
And voila! Are you excited to try this distinctive recipe over the weekend? Let us know in the comments below.
Lead Image Credit: KFC Australia, YouTube