Mochi balls are to lockdown 3.0 what banana bread was to lockdown 1.0. The whole world is going mad for the gelatinous Japanese dessert balls, which are basically balls of ice cream wrapped in soft mochi dough. They’re sweet, chewy and oh-so delicious.
The mochi pioneers are undoubtedly Little Moons, whose sweet treats have shot to such success that they’re pretty much sold out everywhere. *Sobs*.
But the good news is, you don’t need to hang around for the Waitrose restock to get your mochi fix. There’s a super easy recipe for mochi balls going viral on – yep, you guessed it – TikTok (basically where we get all of our recipes from nowadays).
TikToker @jasmineandtea is going viral for sharing the recipe for double chocolate ice cream mochi balls with fans, and the clip has quickly amassed almost 11,000 likes and over 100 comments.
Here’s the full double chocolate ice cream mochi balls recipe…
- 125ml milk
- 67g sugar
- 2 tsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cocoa
- 85g mochiko or sweet rice flour
- cornstarch (for dusting)
- chocolate ice cream
- In a wok or frying pan, dissolve the sugar in the milk, stirring continuously.
- Add the oil, cocoa powder and vanilla essence. Stir together.
- Turn off the heat, and gradually stir in the mochiko.
- Continue stirring on a medium heat until it’s thick and you can pick it up with your wooden spoon.
- Dust a chopping board with starch and flatten the mixture using a rolling pin.
- Cover with cling film and cool in the fridge.
- Cut out circles (see video for approximate size – it needs to be big enough to encase a scoop of ice cream) and roll out again if required.
- Use an ice cream scoop to spoon out a ball of chocolate ice cream and place in the mochi circle. Dab with water to seal.
- Set in the freezer and enjoy!
Not a fan of chocolate ice cream? @jasmineandtea has plenty more recipes for various mochi flavours on her Instagram, including strawberry ice cream mochi, green tea ice cream mochi, mango mochi and milk mochi.