Credit: ITM (left) Brittant Baxter (right)
Gideon’s Bakehouse is one of the newer eateries in Downtown Disney at the Walt Disney World Resort. The cookies and cakes the bakery makes are mouth-watering and can live up to any sweet tooth lover’s dream, but the wait can often be pretty daunting with hours in a virtual queue.
If you have been to Disney Springs to get Gideon’s cookie, you would have had to sign yourself up for a virtual wait in the queue. That virtual queue is often known to be hours long, which could leave Guests watering around Disney Springs a lot longer than they originally anticipated.
Related: UPDATE: Disney Springs Bake Shop Shares Reason For Temporary Closure
But what if we told you you can skip the long lines, and make these cookies at home! Brittany Baxter on Oola.com created a copycat Gideon’s Bakehouse cookie recipe for their classic chocolate chip cookies that look just like the real deal! This is super exciting because the Gideon’s Bakehouse recipe is very top-secret. We can’t be sure this copycat recipe is the same, but it is fun to try and crack the code!
The site reads:
Nothing beats a warm homemade chocolate chip cookie, baked fresh from the oven! These soft, chewy classics will stand the test of time and are destined to always be a favorite go-to dessert for cookie lovers for years to come.
Since its debut in 1938, the chocolate chip cookie recipe has seen countless variations. Our show-stopping copycat Gideon’s Bakehouse chocolate chip cookie recipe is merely one adaption! But it may be one of the very best.
Gideon’s Bakehouse, located in Orlando, Florida, is home to these stunningly self-indulgent treats. Gideon’s cookies weigh in at half a pound each! Every inch of the cookie’s surface is covered in chocolate morsels, giving each cookie its remarkably decadent chocolate flavor. Thankfully, you can now prepare these extraordinary chocolate chip cookies in your kitchen with our easy to follow recipe!
Here is what you will need:
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chocolate chips, divided
- sea salt flakes (for sprinkling)
- stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
- 2 large bowls
- wooden spoon
- plastic wrap
- cookie sheet
- cooling rack
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cube the butter into small cubes. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars for approximately 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Place a sieve over a large bowl. Pour the cake and bread flours into the sieve and sift. Add the sifted flours to the batter in the standing mixer bowl. Add the cornstarch, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Using a wooden spoon and your hands, incorporate the chocolate chips into the dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Next, pour 4 cups of chocolate chips into a large bowl. Set aside. Remove the chilled cookie dough from the refrigerator. Using your hands shape the batter into large dough balls. Cover the entire surface of the dough ball with chocolate chips, careful to keep its spherical shape.
- Place six dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack. Sprinkle each chocolate chip cookie with sea salt flakes, to taste. Enjoy!
Related: 7 of Great Things That Debuted at Disney World in 2020
Voila! You can have a Walt Disney World day at home with this recipe, and you won’t have to worry about missing out on the parks if you can’t be there right now.
Although the directions don’t include this, I would recommend grabbing yourself a glass of milk or ice-cold water, bringing those cookies to your couch, cuddling up to a blanket, and putting on some Disney+ as you indulge in sugar heaven!
Are you going to try to make the Gideon’s Bakehouse cookie yourself?