I tend to make a large batch of the porridge and pears on a Sunday when I have more time, then eat it during the week when time is limited but I want us all to have a good start before work/school. Porridge with pudding vibes is exactly the way I like to begin my day.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Four to six
- 60g steel-cut/pinhead oats
- 90g rolled oats
- 700ml milk
- ¼ tsp flaky sea salt
- 6 cardamom pods
- A good pinch of saffron
- 5 tbsp soft light-brown sugar
- 3 pears, peeled
- Mix both types of oats in a large saucepan and stir in the milk, 500ml of water and the sea salt. Place on a medium heat until the liquid comes to the boil, then reduce the heat to the very lowest setting and cook for 50-60 minutes, stirring often, until the oats are perfectly cooked and creamy.
- Meanwhile, crush the cardamom pods, then discard the pods and finely crush the seeds. Place in a small pan with the saffron, soft light-brown sugar and 160ml of water.
- Quarter the pears, cut out the cores. If the pears are large, cut each quarter in half again. Stir into the spiced water and place on a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat ever so slightly so you left with a light spiced syrup with perfectly poached pears. This should take around 10-15 minutes.
- When the porridge is ready, ladle into bowls and serve with the poached pears and syrup on top.