This cinnamon sugar cake features fluffy layers, sweet and creamy buttercream, and a brown sugar and cinnamon-scented filling that is warm and comforting.
All three elements come together to produce a beautiful cake that is perfect for celebrations this time of year.
Cinnamon Sugar Cake
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 7 servings
For the cake:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1¾ cups cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
For the buttercream:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or cream
To prepare the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 (6-inch) round pans and cut out parchment paper rounds to fit into the bottom of the pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, canola oil, sugar and brown sugar until smooth, about a minute and a half.
- Add the egg and yolk and stir until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and stir in any unincorporated bits.
- Add half of the cake flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt, and stir on low to combine.
- Add ¼ cup of the milk as well as the vanilla. Stir on low.
- Add the remaining cake flour and milk, and stir on low just until combined. Fold in any unincorporated bits.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake in the middle of the oven for about 30-33 minutes or until the cake has puffed, turned golden and a toothpick inserted just barely comes out clean. Don’t overbake! Set aside to cool completely.
To prepare the filling:
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar on medium until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth and combined, about 1 minute. Set aside in a different bowl while you prepare your buttercream.
To prepare your buttercream:
- In the same bowl as you made your filling, cream the butter on medium speed until smooth and slightly pale, about 3 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and salt and whip an additional minute.
- Add the cream and beat until smooth and fluffy, about an additional minute.
- Assemble your cake by spreading a small amount of buttercream on a 6-inch cake board. Level your cake layers using a serrated knife and place the first layer on the board. Use an offset spatula to spread the filling on the top of that first layer and place the second on top. Use an offset spatula to spread the buttercream on the outside and decorate with any remaining frosting. I like to mix the remaining filling and buttercream together to pipe décor on top. Enjoy.
- For a larger cake, simply double all the ingredients and bake the batter in 2 (9-inch) pans.
- Bake time may be longer.
Kate Wood’s recipes can be found on her Wood and Spoon blog and on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.