MORRISONS has championed the sale of “wonky”, or smaller and misshapen, fruit and vegetables for years.
It helps keep your grocery bills down and prevents great, fresh produce from going to waste.
Here are three recipes that are a perfect way to pack in your five a day and can be served for breakfast, desserts or a tasty snack.
Sweet potato pancakes with spiced honey & pineapple
(Makes eight pancakes – 28p per portion)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes (plus 30 mins to rest the batter)
- 325g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pineapple chopped into bitesize chunks
- 2 tbsp honey, plus extra to drizzle when serving
- A squeeze fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling water until tender – about 20 minutes – then drain and cool. Meanwhile, make the basic pancake mix. Add the baking powder and sugar to the flour, then pour in 125ml milk. Rest the pancake mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to cook, mash the sweet potatoes and stir through the batter to combine.
- Melt a little oil in a frying pan and, once hot, add 2 tbsp of batter.
- Gently fry the pancake on both sides, turning with a spatula. When it is golden brown, set aside and keep warm in the oven on a low setting, then continue with the rest of the batter.
- While the pancakes are cooking, combine the pineapple, honey, lemon and nutmeg in a pan and gently heat through.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the spiced pineapple, plus extra honey and yoghurt if desired.
TIP: These freeze well in an airtight container. Reheat before serving in a pan on a low heat.
Makes six – 56p per muffin
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 22 minutes
- 275g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 150g caster sugar
- 100g white chocolate chips
- 50g unsalted pistachios, chopped
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- 6 tbsp milk
- 250g strawberries, cut into chunks
- Line a muffin tin with muffin papers. Preheat oven to 170C/fan 150C/gas 4.
- In a big bowl, mix gently to combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, white chocolate and pistachio.
- In a big jug, combine the butter, eggs, yoghurt and milk. Beat the eggs till well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dried ingredients bowl. Pour in the egg and yoghurt mix, add the strawberries and fold together with a spatula.
- Put a dollop in each muffin case. Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes until golden, well risen and slightly firm to touch. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes then remove and cool on a rack or eat warm with a cuppa.
TIP: Instead of white choc chips, try chopped Easter egg leftovers.
Pineapple skewers with mint sugar
Makes 12 – 57p per portion
Preparation time: 13 minutes
Cooking time: 2 minutes (plus 30 mins to rest the batter)
- 2 pineapples, large and ripe
- 6 sprigs fresh mint, leaves only
- 50g demerara sugar
- 100ml double cream
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- 6 large strawberries, halved
Harry will return to UK for Prince Philip funeral but Meghan told not to attend
Philip was ‘terribly upset about this malicious episode of The Crown’
Most popular baby names of 2020 revealed, plus the ones set to become extinct
TAKE A BEAK
Can YOU spot the odd one out in this brainteaser? There’s a bird without a pair
I earned £1k a day as Kate Middleton look-a-like — it changed my life
April 11: A money moon encourages a new look at old debts
- To prepare the pineapple, cut off the top and bottom before slicing away the remaining skin.
- Cut the pineapple in half lengthways, then cut each half into three wedges and remove the tough core from each wedge.
- Then thread each wedge on to a skewer (if using wooden ones, soak them in water for 15 minutes before using).
- Make the mint sugar by blitzing the mint leaves and sugar in a food processor until well blended and the sugar has turned a mint-green colour.
- For the cinnamon cream, whisk the double cream with the cinnamon and vanilla seeds until soft peaks form.
- Barbecue each skewer for 1 minute on each side. Place on a platter with the strawberries and sprinkle with the mint sugar.
- Serve with a bowl of the cinnamon cream on the side.
TIP: For a healthier option, serve with low-fat yoghurt instead of the cream.