You can’t have baseball without apple pie. Well, at least it is as American as apple pie. Which is probably why we still care about the sport. Here is a great apple pie recipe that should cheer you all up with this less than ideal Nebraska baseball season that is fully underway.
I hope that some of you try the recipe out and post in here how it went. Or even better, post it in twitter and we will retweet it. There has to be a pic of the pie in the tweet so don’t burn it or I am sure the Twitterverse will burn you for it.
For Pie Crust:
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (150 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water, as needed
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour and salt. Add butter and pulse until the mixture forms lima bean-size pieces. Slowly add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the dough just comes together. It should be moist, but not wet.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disk with the heel of your hand. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Dough for double-crust pie
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Optional: Turbinado or coarse sugar, ground cinnamon, vanilla bean ice cream and caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, combine sugars, flour and spices. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. If desired, sprinkle with turbinado sugar and ground cinnamon. Cover edge loosely with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with ice cream and caramel sauce.
Oh yeah, I 100% stole this recipe from the internet. I’ll probably try it out in a couple of weeks.
Husker weekend recap of women’s tennis, men’s golf and track and field | Sports | dailynebraskan.com
Nebraska women’s tennis captured its ninth and tenth wins over the weekend, defeating No. 65 Purdue 4-1 and then Indiana 4-3 on the road.
Amid positivity at Nebraska, the Huskers’ biggest concern remains: The line of scrimmage – The Athletic
The outlook up front is beyond murky. Nebraska is a team without a dominant offensive or defensive lineman.
Nebraska baseball falls to Creighton 3-2 despite 5 Bluejay errors
Nebraska falls to Creighton 3-2 in first game at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha
Pursuing starting spot, Braxton Clark has advantage he hasn’t had in past years
If it seems like Braxton Clark has been around a good while, the fact checkers find it true.
Other News From The Sporting World
Meet the 2022 McDonald’s All-Americans: the scorers, wings, and skilled bigs – SBNation.com
Here are the players to watch in the boys McDonald’s All-American Game.
The Annual NFL Coaches Picture Has Dropped | Barstool Sports
Hello. It’s me Big Cat. I’m blogging again. First off, I genuinely miss blogging. Part of me wishes I could go back to just blogging 15 times a day, a simple life, an honest living. The bad news is I …
WWE® to Host Talent Tryouts Ahead of WrestleMania® | Business Wire
WWE® (NYSE: WWE) today announced that it will host a multi-day talent tryout, exclusively for current and recently graduated college athletes, as part
Tiger plays 18 at Augusta to test Masters fitness: reports
Tiger Woods played an 18-hole practice round at Augusta National on Tuesday with son Charlie and pal Justin Thomas, testing his fitness for next week’s Masters, according to multiple reports.
Marshall, C-USA reach agreement; Herd headed to Sun Belt this summer
Conference USA and the three schools that have attempted to leave the league this summer — Marshall, Southern Mississippi and Old Dominion — reached a resolution in their
Johnny Manziel to stay in 7-on-7 league, says he has no drive to play at a high level – ProFootballTalk
Johnny Manziel will be suiting up for a 7-on-7 indoor football league next month, but he’s not trying to prove he deserves another chance in the NFL.
Villanova’s Secret Weapon for the Final Four: Free-Throw Shooting – WSJ
The Wildcats have an edge in down-to-the-wire situations as the best free-throw shooting team ever in college basketball.
Sonny Dykes, a guy with a résumé full of have-not jobs, now is running a have
Sonny Dykes would be the first to tell you he had a sweet deal at SMU. But now he’s at TCU, and being in a Power 5 league is a big change.
Pac-12 Conference moving to remote work in effort to support staff, boost revenue distribution to schools – CBSSports.com
The conference will be leaving its headquarters in San Francisco
The Day – Former Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel named Coast Guard Foundation Hedrick Fellow – News from southeastern Connecticut
Hagel addressed cadets at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday.
Trashy House Still Has 311 Day Decorations Up
A local home is angering neighbors by leaving their 311 Day decorations up long after the holiday has passed and allowing the display items to fall into disrepair.
Adidas announces creation of wide-reaching NIL network – Sports Illustrated
Over 50,000 students will have the opportunity to profit off their name, image and likeness (NIL) under a new Adidas initiative.
Nicolas Cage Can Explain It All | GQ
GQ’s April cover star details why every extraordinary thing about his wild work and life actually makes perfect sense.