The idea of this dish is to roast a pineapple as you would a joint of meat, and carve it at the table. The ice cream recipe makes more than you need but it keeps well in the freezer.
Prep time: 20 minutes, plus 6 hours freezing | Cooking time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Four to six
For the coconut ice cream
- 300ml double cream
- 200ml condensed milk
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut essence
For the pineapple
- 1 medium pineapple
- 200ml water
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Whisk the double cream and condensed milk together until they form stiff peaks.
- Turn the coconut milk out into a bowl and stir it to mix the separated liquid together with the solids. Add the coconut essence.
- Fold the coconut into the cream mixture until smooth, keeping as much air in the mix as possible. Pour into a container and freeze for at least six hours.
- When you are ready to cook the pineapple, preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/Gas 3.
- Using a bread knife, slice off the tough skin of the pineapple by working around it from top to bottom, leaving the leaves on. Slash the side with three cuts about 1cm deep – this will allow the sugar syrup to penetrate. Cover the leaves with tin foil so that you can handle the fruit while roasting and carving.
- In a saucepan, bring the water and sugar to the boil and boil rapidly for two minutes, then add the star anise, cinnamon and chilli.
- Place the pineapple on its side on a roasting tray and pour over the sugar syrup. Roast for an hour, basting and turning the fruit every 10 minutes or so. The syrup will combine to produce roasting juices that will form part of the finished dish.
- Remove the pineapple from the oven after an hour and baste it again, so it’s ready to carve.
- You can carve at the table for dramatic effect – simply put the fruit on a carving plate and slice downwards in thin strips from top to bottom. You may have to lose the outer layer if it is tough – test this and see.
- Place the strips on small plates until the surface is covered, then drizzle the roasting juices over the pineapple flesh. Finally, add a scoop of coconut ice cream.